Meatballs are always a great party option. These ones came from a Thai inspired meatloaf recipe (yes I know that is totally in-authentic). They are a great make-ahead in a big batch and can be frozen too. Any leftovers are great stirred through a herb-flecked broth with noodles, chili and lime.
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup milk
2 pounds ground turkey
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1/4 cup soy sauce
1x 8 ounce can drained, chopped water chestnuts
1 clove garlic, grated
1 egg, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- Preheat to 400 degrees . Line a baking sheet with foil and give it a light coat of cooking spray.
- Combine the panko breadcrumbs, ground turkey, scallions, soy sauce, water chestnuts, garlic, egg, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- Shape into either 6 “mini meatloaves” or approximately 50-60 1-inch meatballs.
- In a bowl, stir together the ketchup, brown sugar and chili sauce. Using a pastry brush, coats your meatloaves or meatballs with the mixture.
- Bake, coating with the remaining glaze halfway through. Meatballs take approximately 25 minutes, mini meatloaves 30-35 minutes.