A really easy, pretty healthy Huevos Rancheros recipe.
Ingredients (per person)
1 soft corn tortilla (gmo free please!)
2 tablespoons guacamole or mashed avocado
1 tablespoon crumbled feta
juice of half a lime
a sprinkle of smoked paprika (optional)
a sprinkle of chopped cilantro (coriander)
a third of a can of black beans
a teaspoon of chipotle (smoked chile) sauce – I like Frontera or Cholula brands
half a cup of homemade tomato sauce
1. Drain the beans and mix them with the tomato sauce and heat them. The microwave is fine.
2. Add chipotle to the beans, taste them and add salt and a little lime juice.
3. Heat tortillas in a dry skillet (frying pan) until they brown a little and puff up.
4. Heat oil (I use canola or bacon fat) in a skillet and then break eggs. Sprinkle yolks with a little salt and some smoked paprika. Keep the heat high so the underside of the eggs goes brown and crispy. Cook for around 3 minutes until they are to your liking. I prefer the yolks to be soft.
5. While the eggs are cooking, assemble the rest of the ingredients. On each plate, place a tortilla then spread the guacamole on top. Then spoon the bean mixture and give it a squeeze of lime. Then crumble the feta over the beans.
6. Put the fried egg on top and finish with another squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro.